Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Project #15 - Search Engines

Search
Duck Duck Go
This is a search engine that is similar to Google. Duck Duck Go does not track its users or give out any of its user's personal information. I think this is a great search engine that is very user friendly and not very cluttered.

Bing
Bing is one of the most popular search engines. It is almost exactly like Google. Bing is a great search engine for everyday use. This search engine is very useful and has reliable sources.

YouTube
This search engine is used to search videos. Because anyone can post videos, there is a huge variety as to what videos you can find. Music videos, educational videos, humorous videos, and basically any other type of video you can imagine can be found here.

Amazon
Amazon is a search engine used for shopping. You can find things from electronics, craft supplies, and even groceries on Amazon. Amazon also offers memberships that include many perks such as free 2-day shipping. I personally have used Amazon to buy textbooks and to buy various crafting supplies since I enjoy crafting. I find this search engine extremely easy to use.

White Pages
This search engine is used to look people up by using their name, address, business, or phone number. I personally love the reverse phone number look-up feature.  It is very helpful when someone calls me, and I don't recognize the phone number. I can easily use this search engine to look up who called me.

KidRex
KidRex is a search engine that is powered by Google. KidRex is different from Google in that KidRex is meant specifically for kids to use. It filters inapporiate materials that kids should not be looking at. The homepage has a cute background that looks as if it were drawn using crayons. This search engine is very easy to use and kid friendly.

Kayak
Kayak is a travel search engine where you can compare "hundreds of travel sites at once." I think this search engine is fairly easy to use. I don't really like Kayak because after searching something, there is so much information on the screen that it is slightly confusing. Also, after searching a destination, it made several windows pop up on my computer, and I did not like that at all.

WolframAlpha
I have never heard of this search engine before so I was kind of eager to use it and see what all it does. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is a search engine used to "compute answers and provide knowledge." I thought it was amazing that this search engine will help you with math problems. I wish I would have known about this amazing resource when I was in high school and even when I was taking my math courses in college. I will definitely be sure to use this search engine in the future and make sure that I tell others about this great resource.
Computer screen with various types of search engines listed.

No comments:

Post a Comment