Tuesday, March 10, 2015

C4T #2

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
In her blog post It's Been Awhile...Lessons Learned as a New Administrator, Jennifer Brokofsky discusses how she has not blogged in a long time. She isn't exactly sure why she hasn't blogged in so long, but is glad to be back at it. She also mentions that she has obtained her Master's degree and is now a vice principal. Brokofsky continues by stating all of the lessons she has learned as she has transitioned from being a consultant to becoming a vice principal. The first lesson that she has learned is that all students are different, and it is important to address student's individualized learning needs. Secondly, she has learned that it is okay if a lesson takes longer than anticipated because everyone learns differently. Another lesson that Brokofsky has learned is to appreciate her students and all of their unique skills. Brokofsky has also learned that she can't do everything at once. She came to the realization that she does not have all of the answers, and she is okay with that. Lastly, Brokofsky learned that while it is a tough job, being an educator is extremely rewarding.

In my comment to Brokofsky, I congratulated her on getting her Master's degree and told her how I someday hope to obtain a Master's degree myself. I then continued by telling her how much I enjoyed reading her post. My favorite part was how she mentioned that we need to be able to adjust our lessons to our student's needs. I believe that it is important for us educators to be able to cater to our student's learning needs. I also enjoyed her statement about how she doesn't know everything. Many people are under the assumption that educators know everything when the truth is we are still constantly learning new things ourselves.

In her second most recent post, Three Acts Math Movie - Candy Colours, Brokofsky has three videos. These three videos are part 1 of the problem, part 2 of the problem, and the solution to the problem. During these videos, a young boy and girl are trying to figure out how to equally split packages of Skittles between them. They both only want to eat certain colors, so this poses a problem. Since there are not an equal number of colors in each bag of Skittles, the children have to open more bags until they finally get the colors they want and both have an equal amount of Skittles.
Picture of Skittles

I left a comment on Brokofsky's post and mentioned how I thought what she did was a great idea. I told her that it is always a good idea to use fun and engaging ways to teach children. I also told her that I believe that children learn more through hands-on learning than from the traditional lecture method. Lastly, I mentioned how I like that the videos not only demonstrated math, but also demonstrated how to get along with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment