Friday, January 23, 2015

Blog Assignment #2

Couple Dancing
     The video Professor Dancealot shows why it is important for students to have hands-on learning. All the teacher does is lecture, and he talks in a very monotone voice. The students end up being bored and not paying attention. By the time the final rolls around, the teacher sets up a video camera and expects the students to be able to do the dances that he discussed in class. The students have no idea what to do since all their teacher did was lecture to them, instead of letting them practice the dances during class. I agree with the conclusion that the author chose for this video because it demonstrates that teachers can lecture all they want, but students will not be able to grasp the material if that is all teachers do.

Word Collage      In the video Teaching in the 21st Century, Kevin Roberts believes that teachers should use every resource available to them to help engage their students in learning. He also discusses all of the wonderful qualities that technology has. Roberts believes that in order for teaching to be effective, technology should be used whenever possible. I agree with Roberts' proposal on how teaching should change. I will definitely keep up to date with technology so that I can be effective in teaching my students and also engage them at the same time.

     When the video The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler began, I immediately thought that the class it described would be hard. However, as the video continued, the class described was almost exactly like EDM 310. The student does all of the work on the computer, just like students of EDM 310 do. The video poses the question "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" The networked student needs a teacher to guide them in the right direction and help them when they need help. Without the help of teachers, we probably wouldn't get very far.

     Vicki Davis' video Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts demonstrates why it is important to use technology in the classroom. Davis states that working together with technology is a more effective way of learning than just using pen and paper. I agree with her when she says that students can sometimes learn from each other in ways that they cannot learn from a teacher. I think it is great that Davis allows her students to become teacher for the day. I think more teachers should incorporate this aspect into their classrooms. I believe that Davis has an effective teaching method because of her ability to adapt her teaching methods to her students' educational needs.

     In Who's Ahead of the Learning Race?, elementary, undergraduate, and graduate students are discussed. Before watching this video, I would think that graduate students are ahead; however, after watching the video it is evident that I was very wrong. As an undergraduate college student, I believe that elementary students are definitely ahead of the learning race. With more and more technology becoming available for children to use, it is easier for teachers to incorporate that technology into their classrooms. I remember when I was in elementary school that we did not have any technology at all in the classrooms. I think that it is great that children are learning how to use things such as Google Docs and Macbooks at such an early age. I feel like it is easier to learn things like that at a younger age then when you are much older. I love how the children are excited to be using these technological devices and are taking full advantage of them. Learning is so much more interactive than it was when I was in elementary school.

You know Ms. Grigwater, I don't thinkg you've quite grasped the idea of the "Flipped Classrom."
   Flipping the Classroom is a video that discusses "flipping" the classroom by presenting new materials online for students to watch lessons the night before in order to have a more productive learning environment. I have never heard of flipping the classroom before. I believe that there are many benefits for students being able to watch lessons at home. By watching lessons at home the night before, students will have an idea of what they will be learning the next day. Also, the student's parents can be involved in what the children are learning and are able to help them with their work. It will also save time in class so that the teacher can spend more time helping those who are struggling to grasp the concept, while the ones who do understand can be working on their homework or other related assignments. Because of the reasons previously stated, I believe that flipping the classroom would be useful to me as a teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Heather,
    I love your blog post #2! It completely grasped my attention just by looking at it. You did a wonderful job with adding photos. Also your writing is very organized and also professional. I find it truly amazing that the tiles of the assigned videos are active links! I am not entirely technologically inclined. But, by reading over your blog I feel that you are! I honestly can not find one tiny bit of constructive criticism. Except maybe your blog makes me what to reevaluate my own.
    -Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! You definitely seemed to get something out of every video.

    ReplyDelete